status of ghostscript

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 08:16:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:36:35PM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> what's the ghostscript future in FC ?
>
> GNU Ghostscript http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/gnu/
>                 http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/
> ESP Ghostscript http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.php

Good question.  Well, what do we all think?

> GPL Ghostscript http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/

This site is no longer current, by the way.  The GNU Ghostscript
project is the same thing at GPL Ghostscript.

> Slackware has changed to ESP because it brings more
> drivers and has a better integration with CUPS

Well, the drawback is that you end up being further removed from the
origin of the source code.  The benefit is that someone else does (a
lot of) the integration for you.

Does ESP Ghostscript include the patches for Japanese support, out of
interest?  What are the differences between the ESP Ghostscript
package and our package based on GNU Ghostscript (which has lots of
patches)?

Which direction should Fedora Core take for ghostscript?  Now is a
good time to discuss that, since we're overdue to jump to version 8.

Tim.
*/