status of ghostscript

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 16:55:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 06:48:23PM +0200, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> >Does ESP Ghostscript include the patches for Japanese support, out of
> >interest?  What are the differences between the ESP Ghostscript
> >package and our package based on GNU Ghostscript (which has lots of
> >patches)?
>
> AFPL -> GPL -> GNU -> ESP

Okay -- but what are the differences between ESP Ghostscript and the
Ghostscript package we actually ship?  Ours is based on GNU
Ghostscript, but has lots of other patches integrated.  What
functionality would need to be ported to ESP Ghostscript to maintain
the same level?

> ESP brings:
> - preliminary PCL 6 drivers for CUPS
> - bugs fixed over GNU
> - direct CMYK printing in the CUPS driver
> - add nearly all known GhostScript drivers as listed on
> "http://www.linuxprinting.org/";,
>   including IBM's OMNI, Martin Lottermoser's PCL3, and EPSON's laser printer
>   drivers
> - makes several drivers more portable
> - re-register any installed CID fonts at install time.
> - latest printer drivers

But these are relative to what?  GNU Ghostscript?  What I'm personally
interested in is a comparision between ESP Ghostscript and the
Ghostscript package we are currently shipping.

With respect to switching to ESP Ghostscript for the next development
cycle, one drawback that seems immediately apparent is that ESP
Ghostscript is not based on GNU Ghostscript 8.x!  If we stick to GNU
Ghostscript we'll be able to upgrade to 8.x.

Tim.
*/