Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Oct 19 17:34:48 UTC 2004

tir, 19.10.2004 kl. 17.09 skrev Jonathan Andrews:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 15:40, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> > Jonathan Andrews wrote:
>
> > You don't need to log in as root to run a GUI tool as root.
> True
>

> > >Makes we wonder what userbase fedora is aimed at ? Should home users be
> > >using Debian - if so who fedora for ?
> > >

> > Well, have you considered that maybe the situation you are describing is
> > not that common for most home users? I'm not saying it is or it isn't...
> > but I'm not the one wondering whether fedora is aimed at home users
> > based on what could possibly be a special cases.
> Its partly out of date on my part, xine didn't used to play properly as
> non-root. Similar with some of the firewire applications.
>
> Its not common, but I see a dangerous trend amongst security people to
> stamp down hard on anything thats insecure without thinking it through
> for all users and workloads.
>
> It would be good to discourage people from surfing as root, but at the
> same time it would be bad to stop people logging into X as root. Users
> have the right to be stupid......
>

> > Should I complaing that Fedora is not friendly to gamers because I need
> > to be aware of performance and security issues in order to run a "insert
> > your favorite game here" dedicated server?
>
> This tread has degraded, I was originally answering a comment that
> xdm,gdm,kdm should have root logins disabled. Not an "option" to
> disable/enabled... but remove the possibility of loggining in as root
> without first editing xinit scripts. I just wanted it noted that from a
> user perspective this was arrogant !

I agree. Make it an option in gdmsetup, or even better, make some kind
of nice little "warning" box popup at startup. This box should contain a
short, informative text, an "OK" button, an "OK, log me out" button, and
a "please don't show me this again".

Did you knew that one of the things that really pissed me off and away
from windows, is that, while running as an administrator, got an "access
denied" when trying to enter a (some kind of special, found it in a
config file and was curious) well-hidden directory.