fedora and xine.

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Oct 19 22:05:40 UTC 2004

Pritesh Shah wrote:

>I'm trying to install xine in my system. i downloaded the binaries
>from freshrpms for fedora 2. i got i think all the prerequisite
>packages needed installed. when i'm trying to install xine it reports
>the following error:
>
># rpm -ivh xine-0.99.2-1.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm
>warning: xine-0.99.2-1.1.fc2.fr.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
>ID e42d547b
>error: Failed dependencies:
>        libcurl.so.2 is needed by xine-0.99.2-1.1.fc2.fr

The first problem is that curl is very poorly packaged.  Libraries
should be packages such that they are parallel installable.  I have
already filed a bug against the curl package for this.

For the fix, I just made a symlink from libcurl.so.2 to libcurl.so.3.
They seem to be compatible enough for Xine to at least run.  It might
reduce stability, though I haven't seen any problems.  I don't run Xine
over the network, however.

Finally, this list is about developing Fedora, not user questions - use
fedora-test-list for that.