Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:28:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:02:13 +0200, Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
> Although you don't necessarily need a graphical login.

I'm not sure I like using the argument that expects people to use a
console login in which they are unfamiliar to the tools.  As more and
more wizardy Setting Setting tools get developer to ease the task of
administration on for subsystems, you have to expect less proficiency
at the commandline among admins in the userbase overall. If openldap
authing can be configured without stepping foot into consoleland,
having a way to troubleshoot common configuration failure modes of
openldap without dropping to console would seem appriopriate.  The
argument isn't so much about bare minimum 'needs' to get the job done.
The argument is, adminsn especially less experienced admins, are going
to find ways to use the tools they are comfortable with to solve their
defcon 3 problems so it gets solved as quickly as possible.

With that preamble in mind.... is "best practise" with regard to
openldap or other network authing to have at least one locally authed
unprivlegded "operator" as suggested previously in this thread? If so,
are their opportunities in the ui tools in Core to strongly suggest or
strongarm if not require that such a local operator be created?

-jef