Rebuilding Fedora

Lawrence Bowie thesource at ldb-jab.org
Sun Oct 24 15:47:09 UTC 2004

rpm -ivh kernel-sourcecode (this is specifically is not a package but
here are some of the latest ...

    kernel-sourcecode-2.6.8-1.521
    kernel-sourcecode-2.6.7-1.494.2.2

cd /usr/src/"name of current kernel source code you are going to re-compile"
make mrproper
make menuconfig
    ->processor type and features
    ->processor family (press enter to select the specific processor)
    ->ESC
    ->ESC
    ->Enter
vi Makefile
    -> (Append the line EXTRAVERSION at the top of the Makefile to say
something like  custom
        so .. if EXTRAVERSION reads "EXTRAVERSION = -1.494.2.2" then
change it to
        "EXTRAVERSION = -1.494.2.2customize_to_whatever". Just make it
different.)
make
make install modules_install

That should be all ...