rpm --redhat-requires, rpm --redhat-provides

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Thu Sep 9 05:31:06 UTC 2004

Hello,
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:40:27PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Are there a lot of people who use the two commands listed in the subject
> very often?
I use something more general:

$ cat .popt
rpm alias --fedora --nogpg --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/%{_arch}-%{_vendor}-%{_os}/redhat
$

Then (rpm --fedora -q --whatprovides PACKAGE), (rpm --fedora -qf FILE),
(rpm --fedora -ql PACKAGE), (rpm --fedora -ev --test PACKAGE) etc.,
I tend to use this very often (daily is a good estimate).

> if yum or some other command line tool were to be able to return the
> same data from the xml metadata, instead of the comps or rpmdb-fedora,
> would people be willing to use those?
I don't think the XML metadata allows so general queries and I'm
not sure what is the subset of rpmdb data that would be enough to
completely replace all the ways I have ever used rpmdb.

But if the rpmdb is not available in the distribution, I can always
create my own, so ths mail does not imply "I don't want rpmdb removed".
	Mirek