Re: Probably a given - but udev-030-26 made my system unbootable (detailed)

On Sep 18, 2004, at 04:44, Mark Mielke wrote:

The first error was "Warning: unable to find a console" or something to that
effect. The boot process paused. I manually created:

crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Sep 17 22:18 console

Then, it complained about /dev/null not being writable. Sure enough,
/dev/null was a regular file with bytes in it. *sigh* Created that as:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Feb 23 2004 null

No luck. Booting still had major trouble. Finally I gave up:

To get myself back into working order - I renamed /dev to /dev.udev
and copied a working /dev from another partition to /dev. It looks
like a lot of things are missing from /dev.udev. The current contents
of /dev.udev is (after I added console and null):

The same happened to me after upgrading to the new "udev" from RawHide, but instead, I used "/sbin/MAKEDEV" to manually recreate all devices used by IDE, console, linux-2.6.x and so. It seems "udev" is dangerous when not using and INITRD.