Re: Rant on LABELs

A few datapoints.

The labels are not parsed by the kernel, initrd does it.

One could use a "labelindex" option in addition, to select between
identical LABELs. I've implemented this on my system there are 2
identical root filesystems on disk so that on upgrade the unused one
is written and booted to. The patch to mkinitrd to support this is
attached.
    Note by having 2 root filesystems (in conjuction with a hardware
watchdog, and the savedefault --once option in grub) allows one to
construct a system that is much less likely to ever hang, as
it can failback to the origonal root partition that it was running.

The latest version of lilo (22.6) allows root=LABEL=blah
in the config file

Pádraig.