FC2 kernel quality

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Sep 30 19:11:00 UTC 2004

alan at redhat.com (Alan Cox) writes:

>>   - 'cdrecord' refuses to work as non-root which breaks nearly every GUI
>
> Not a bug, security fix.  2.6.9 works towards having a policy that is
> better.

Ok, will tools like 'xcdroast' work again?

>> * there is a bug when opening new PTYs; a symptom is EIO when accessing
>>   /dev/ptmx. This bug breaks application like screen or ssh.
>
> Yep a few people are seeing this.

I found ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/people/viro/ptmx-delta which seems to
fix it.

>> * SELinux can not load the policies anymore because the tools can not
>>   handle SELinux versions above 17 but the kernel has 18
>
> SELinux was never supported in FC2 final,

Sorry, I disagree here because it is explicitly mentioned in the
release-notes, and it worked before the 2.6.7 errata kernel afair. It
is somehow annoying that the next update-kernels broke it suddenly.

Enrico