gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Apr 6 03:58:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 19:35 -0400, John Thacker wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:15:57PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Is this just pkg-config stuff?  That type of stuff can be fixed and
> > submitted upstream pretty easily.  If it's other auto* problems, I'd have to
> > see it to know how easy it would be.  In any case, if you send me a few
> > packages to look at, I'll make a start on doing something productive about
> > it.
>
> Take a look at xcdroast.  It can be set to use either gtk+ or gtk2
> (and we build for gtk2), but fails building if it doesn't find gtk+
> (well, really glib1), trying to run a macro.

It looks like things are both more complex and not so problematic.  The
configure.in uses AM_PATH_GLIB/GTK/GDK_PIXBUF which requires the -devel
packages from gtk1 to be used. However, the configure script doesn't
require them at all.  As long as we don't need to touch the Makefile.am
or configure.in and regenerate the Makefile's we're fine without gtk1.
(Just tested this in mach so I know this part works.)

If we have to make changes to configure.in or Makefile.am's, however,
we'll also need to modify the configure.in script.  One solution is to
just patch out the checks for the gtk1 stack.  They're in a small,
contained section of the configure.in and could be patched out easily
when changes are made to the configure.in/Makefile.am's.

The other solution which might stand a chance to go upstream is to patch
the build code to use pkgconfig instead of the AM_PATH_G* macros.  This
way would allow the continued use of GTK1 when available without needing
the gtk1 -devel packages installed to regenerate configure/Makefile.

The problem is that only the later gtk-1.2 series has pkgconfig files
(CVS seems to be telling me 1.2.9)  whereas xcdroast currently has a
minimum requirement of 1.2.3.  So upstream has to be convinced that
requiring a newer version of gtk1 is ok.  Still, 1.2.9 was released in
2001 so there's been quite a bit of time for people to have upgraded.

I don't know how applicable this analysis is to other packages which can
compile against either gtk1 or gtk2, but it doesn't seem to be a very
difficult problem to tackle.

-Toshio

--
_________________ Move to Mexico!  Learn to roll sushi! _________________