Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 8 14:40:02 UTC 2005

> Of course we don't have to approach that, the answer is simple: Don't
> rely on device-names and/or physical position of the hardware. Here are
> two reason: a) users don't understand it; and b) sysadmins don't need to
> understand it. That's why e.g. hal/fstab-sync put /media/<fslabel>
> in /etc/fstab so you can just label your disks and expect them to be
> mounted at the appropriate mount point.
>
> I'd wish people would file bugs against software, especially desktop
> software, that forces people to rely on device names. We need to move
> away from that.

1. sw-raid arrays - how do you not rely on device names when trying to
fail-out a drive?
2. adding a new disk to a system. The new disk has been a boot disk for
another older system. Suddenly you have two partitions labeled /
and /var. How do you get out of that w/o booting up and making fstab
mount via device name?

-sv