Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 8 14:53:37 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> said:
> 1. sw-raid arrays - how do you not rely on device names when trying to
> fail-out a drive?

We need a "locator"; something that can take a device name and blink the
activity LED at a regular rate.  This could be "tricky" with a failed
drive however (because you don't really want to read from it).  Will the
activity LED blink for other actions on typical drives?  I know the LED
on some CD drives will blink when checking to see if media is in the
drive.

> 2. adding a new disk to a system. The new disk has been a boot disk for
> another older system. Suddenly you have two partitions labeled /
> and /var. How do you get out of that w/o booting up and making fstab
> mount via device name?

This is a problem, especially at boot.  You can also have problems with
LVM if you have drives with different volumes on them that have the same
name.  I always name my volumes based on the host name instead of
LogVol00.

Mount by UUID instead of by label should solve the first problem, but it
doesn't help with LVM.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>