Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 13 17:52:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 13:30 -0400, William M. Quarles wrote:

> spammers have spiders
> that crawl the Internet to gather e-mail addresses to spam people.  I
> have contacted all of the websites who did not modify my e-mail
> addresses (mostly on mailing lists) in such that they cannot be
> collected.

Yes they do have spiders.  And I'd bet that most of those spiders know
how to turn "user at example.com" and many of the other common
obfuscations into "user at example.com".  And if that doesn't work, they'll
just subscribe to all of the mailing lists that they can find to harvest
email addresses directly from the emails.  And if that doesn't work
they'll just try dictionary attacks against your SMTP server.  And once
one spammer has your email address they'll quickly sell it to every
other spammer.

This all just goes to show that you can't hide your email address.
They'll find it one way or the other, sooner or later.  So I wouldn't
waste a lot of time trying.

Instead, investigate one of the many spam filtering systems out there.
Since I see that you are using Mozilla, take a look at:

<http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam.html>

Jeff