PHP and FastCGI (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050414 changes)

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 20:51:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:17:27PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Build System wrote :
>
> > php-5.0.4-6
> > -----------
> > * Wed Apr 13 2005 Joe Orton <jorton at redhat.com> 5.0.4-6
> > - build /usr/bin/php with the CLI SAPI, and add /usr/bin/php-cgi,
> >   built with the CGI SAPI (thanks to Edward Rudd, #137704)
> > - add php(1) man page for CLI
> > - fix more test cases to use -n when invoking php
>
> Does anyone here have further thoughts about also enabling FastCGI support
> in the php-cgi binary? IMHO, PHP through basic CGI is so slow that no one
> uses it anyway (most people use mod_php), but when using FastCGI with
> lighttpd for instance... wow! :-)
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/149596
>
> I'd really like to see FastCGI enabled by default.

Actually, with the CGI/CLI split adding an extra megabyte of bloat I
guess a little bit more to enable FastCGI in /usr/bin/php-cgi will get
lost in the noise.  The bitcounters will hate me...

php-cgi is useful if only because you can run it under suexec, but I
don't know that many people do that either, IIRC you have to muck around
to get that working anyway.  Can you do similar tricks with FastCGI?

joe