mounting external harddisk with fstab-sync as a non-root user

Didier Casse elprodigio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:31:40 UTC 2005

On 4/21/05, Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:55 +0800, Didier Casse wrote:
> > Those external hard disks are getting really popular nowadays and and
> > lot of people would get one in the near future... What are Redhat's
> > plans for things like these?
>
> Well, I have never seen an external device that didn't come pre-
> formatted with some FAT variant... Not that external hard disks with
> some other filesystem don't exist, I have a couple of ext3-formatted
> external disks myself, but I did that on purpose. Did your friend
> reformat the disk at some point?

Most likely... Since he partitioned the hard disk into two partitions
and I don't know any vendors in Singapore that sells external harddisk
with NTFS file system. At some point, WinXP would have asked him to
choose between VFAT or NTFS, and he opted for NTFS.

> > Again thanks for the reply. If there's no other solution, I guess I'll
> > tell him to convert the filesystem.
>
> For now, VFAT is certainly the way to go for universal interoperability,
> even though it sucks in many other ways.

I guess I have to agree with you Per. ;-) If for now there seems to be
no other way to deal with this, the solution would be to go for a VFAT
system.

--
Cheers,
Didier.

Didier F.B Casse | PhD candidate | LiMiNT Beamline
Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS), 5 Research Link, Singapore 117603
Email: elprodigioREMOVE_THIS_ANTISPAM_MOJO at gmail.com|
Web: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg | GPG Key 1024D/B3C57D01 2004-06-23