removing esd - seems possible now?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 12:52:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 21:28, Lindsay Holmwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 22:26 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > What about making some (new?) protocol for sound-over-network -
> > something that *just is there* when you connect over XDMCP? Maybe
> > something hooked into ALSA just to make it more complicated - like a
> > "viritual soundcard device"?
>
> G'day,
> No need for creating something new, Lennart Poettering has been working
> on a replacement for ESD named Polypaudio[1].
>
> It's designed to be a drop in replacement for ESD, and it's eventual
> goal is for it to be adopted by the Gnome dudes as the default sound
> server.
>
> It works quite well right now, but what's holding it back from being
> included in Gnome are some technical issues on how the sound is
> processed.
>
> Maybe this might be something the Fedora Project might be interested in
> adopting at some later date (or even now if you're feeling game!).

I would say get it into extras first and if it works out I could just
move it into core for FC5.  I briefly looked at it but then got busy
with other stuff.  I didn't want to just dump ESD problems for a slew of
other problems.  So basically all it needs is a maintainer to go over
the code and make sure it is sane and then package it up for Extras.

--
J5