rawhide report: 20050428 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Apr 29 01:09:34 UTC 2005

> Something has happened to sound from my system after this update.  I'm
> guessing it's related to one of the two packages above but could be
> wrong.
>
> Sound yesterday was nice and clear, but since the update it is garbled
> and staticky (???).  YOu can still here the sound (or music) but it's
> like someone's maxing out the volume and the speakers are all distorted.
> Volume levels on everything are the same as before the update and
> changing (lowering) them doesn't seem to help.
>
> I'm going to try yesterdays kernel and down-grading alsa, but thought it
> worth mentioning this before doing either (so it's documented as I go).
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Packages that might be related:
>
> kernel-2.6.11-1.1275_FC4
> alsa-utils-1.0.9rc2-1
> alsa-lib-1.0.9rc2-1
> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.9rc2-1
>
> Sound Card hardware:
>
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

Tried  kernel-2.6.11-1.1268_FC4 and no improvement.

Tried alsa-utils-1.0.8-4 (and rebooted) and no improvement

Tried alsa-lib-devel-1.0.8-4.devel, alsa-lib-1.0.8-4.devel and now not
getting any sound.  xmms pops up a warning that the soundcard isn't
properly configured and the sound file that plays on login to gnome
didn't play.

Rodd