Thanks for 4KSTACK explanation

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Aug 5 16:51:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 02:41 +1000, Alan Milligan wrote:
> The community still has no real leverage in change assurance.  We do not
> yet have access to CVS to apply patches ourselves, and despite things
> being argued on lists etc, there is no control over veto, some of which
> is explicit, but much of which is implicit in that no action is taken.
>
> There is no recourse to arbitration in any case.
>
> I do not doubt that RH's control of architectural integrity is not only
> a good and necessary thing (indeed given the source of funding, it is
> only right), but I am not at all convinced the correct balance has been
> achieved.
>
> Unfortunately for us, this represents our greatest business risk.
> Distributions such as Ubuntu, where third-party derivatives is a core
> strategic component presently offer others much more influence in the
> finished product.
>
> The Fedora community needs to address this because RPM is still the
> packaging system par-excellence in my opinion.

The things you speak of are not likely to change under the current RH
guard.  However with the formation of the Fedora Foundation, a 3rd party
non-profit org to manage Fedora a lot of these things may change.
Please stay tuned for further information about the Fedora Foundation.
I do believe there will be some announcements at Linux World Conference
and Expo next week in San Francisco.  If you're going to be around the
area, stop by the Fedora booth and see us.

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/LinuxWorldSF2005

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)