addition of -Wall to default flags (redhat-rpm-config-8.0.38-1)

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 02:54:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 19:26 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Nicholas Miell wrote:
> > Nothing stops you from doing internal builds with -Werror and then
> > fixing all the warnings before you make a release.
>
> You don't get it.  The people who need to use -Werror are all those
> people who rebuild code.  This includes all the package maintainers but
> also all everybody who makes changes.  Those are all the people doing
> rebuilds since otherwise they'd simply use the binary packages which are
> provided.

In my experience, binary packages are the exception rather than the rule
(especially in impoverished RPM land). Open source projects may include
a somewhat recent binary tarball for one architecture, but those
projects seem to be in the minority.

Most of the people who end up unpacking a tarball and building it are
end users who aren't interested in making any changes (beyond removing
-Werror when necessary).

A more sensible approach would be to include -Werror in CVS/SVN/etc. any
development snapshots, but remove it for official release tarballs
(which, obviously, aren't targeted towards developers).

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>