rawhide report: 20050807 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Aug 8 12:52:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 00:38 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:19:16PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>
>  > Given that we're in a development cycyle, is this something that can be
>  > fixed with changes to settings on the system, or is it simply better to
>  > fix with a patch?
>
> Actually, thinking about it, lets hold off for a while, and try
> and figure out _which_ parameters its whining about.

> The fact that it reports the unknown param as `' is disconcerting.
> ISTR that this change fell over if it met a modprobe.conf with
> spaces at the end of a line. Can you check that yours hasn't
> got any ? If that doesn't make the errors go away, post your
> /etc/modprobe.conf, and I'll check the drivers to see which (if any)
> of the params went away.

Okay, I updated to the current kernel (just to be sure) and the problem
was still there.  This is (if course) kernel-2.6.12-1.1456_FC5

I then edited /etc/modprobe.conf and (surprise, surprise) there were a
couple of spaces after the following lines:

options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0

I've cut and paste this in, so the spaces are still there.

I removed these spaces and rebooted.

The problem is now gone and sound is working.

I've attached the modprobe.conf file (prechanges) so that you can have a
better look at it (if it helps)

thanks for you help on this.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"