Idea for packing of FC5 DVD

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Tue Aug 16 12:52:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:39:28PM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> How hard would it be to include a script (or application) on DVD
> versions of FC that would allow you to create the various CD's that FC
> alternatively comes on.  So, taking FC4 for example, the DVD replaces 4
> CDs, so the script could be used to produce these CDs from the contents
> of the DVD.
>
> This would be a very attractive way to grab FC.  Grab the DVD (which is
> most cases is fine) and if you need to use the CDs then you can produce
> them from the DVD rather than having to download them.
>
> Thoughts???

We are already using such a script for our X/OS Linux (our rebuild of
RHEL sources) and the X/OS Linux build process includes code to handle
this.  We simply provide a very small script (can/should be made much
more robust, implantmd5 etc. could be added), which you can see at:

http://download.xoslinux.org/pub/xoslinux/4/i386/release/dvdutils/dvd2cd

and while we create the CD/DVD images, we put files with the contents
and info for each CD in the dvdutils directory.  See these files for
CD #1 for example:

http://download.xoslinux.org/pub/xoslinux/4/i386/release/dvdutils/.discinfo-cd1
http://download.xoslinux.org/pub/xoslinux/4/i386/release/dvdutils/.pathlist-cd1

And this works fine since a year or so!