"hard core" linux

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Aug 17 15:28:41 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 01:36, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> * Hardened version of Fedora with strict or MLS policy by default

That's been on my todo list for a while.

I've got a kickstart configuration that converts the machine to strict policy
in the %post so that the first boot does a relabel to the correct context.
Doing the same thing with MLS would be quite easy.

The next step would be a modification of the 6M isolinux image that is used
for booting CDs and a modification of the equivalent image for USB mass
storage devices so that a kickstart or NFS/HTTP install can proceed with full
strict or MLS policy.

Making a new CD1 image to do this would be easy enough technically, but
distributing it would be a PITA.  I can put a 6M kickstart CD image on my web
server with no issue, but a 650M CD1 image would require using bittorrent
(not impossible, just more effort).

There are a few side projects that I will do as part of this.  I am giving a
talk to my local LUG on BitTorrent in the near future - hopefully that will
get me a decent pool of people willing to use their bandwidth to help me out
if I need to distribute CD images.  I also plan to write some articles on
kickstart as some of the KS things I'm doing are fairly tricky and are mostly
undocumented.  I may even get around to adding new features to
system-config-kickstart to support software RAID-6 and LVM (as a general rule
I only do install via kickstart).

How much interest is there in these things?  If you just want to say "I'm
interested" then please use private mail.