"hard core" linux

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Aug 18 02:44:51 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 01:18, Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>     Longer-term,  it might be interesting to do more of a fork:  but the
> further you diverge from Fedora the more problems you have.  For
> instance,  people who want to play mp3's might like a distribution that
> has no media players and no dependencies on media players -- they can
> install what they like the way they like it.  Trouble is that they might

Due to dependencies I don't think it will be possible to spin a distribution
without any of the programs which MAY have MP3 support.  You can't produce a
distribution with MP3 support and call it Fedora for legal reasons.

Probably the best thing to do for someone who wants MP3 support would be to
create a derivative distribution "based on Fedora Core" that has the MP3
support compiled in.