kernel-devel dependency

Michel Alexandre Salim msalim at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 29 20:17:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 17:26 +0200, D. Stolte wrote:
> Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> > Should kernel-devel be made to depend on the same version of the kernel?
> > I have kernel-devel installed, and every time a new kernel comes out the
> > corresponding version of kernel-devel becomes installed as well - but
> > the old package does not get uninstalled.
> >
> > Unless there is a specific reason why it is desirable to have
> > kernel-devel-X installed when kernel-X is not, having the former
> > Requires: the latter would make maintenance tidier, I think.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > - Michel
> >
> The kernel-devel package is needed for building external kernel modules.
>    Perhaps you can just uninstall this package.

Yes, the question is whether it ever makes sense to have kernel-devel-X
installed when the kernel package itself is of version Y.

Once I'm sure a new kernel is working, I like just to be able to call
'yum remove kernel-oldversion' and have kernel-module-*-oldversion and
kernel-devel-oldversion removed through dependencies.

- Michel