Modern Update System

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Dec 1 07:57:12 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 01.12.2005, 02:33 -0500 schrieb Mike A. Harris:
> Nicholas Miell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 23:40 -0500, Brian Gerst wrote:
> >>We don't need to repeat their mistakes.  Most RPMs are small enough that
> >>there is no net gain using this method.
> > And from time to time, there's a full 300 MB OpenOffice release for a
> > one-line fix to the shell script that launches the whole thing.
>[...]
> 300Mb monolithic updates of anything, really really sucks. ;o)

Small note to correct one myth about the size referred in this
discussion: Yes, with all languages and stuff openoffice in FC4 is 310
MByte -- but yum downloaded only 114 MByte for me with the latest update
from updates-testing (all openoffice core components + german
langpack).

So talking about "a full 300 MB OpenOffice release" is in some way
correct, but for most users yum will only download far less (something
around 115 MByte, depending on size of the language package). (And yes,
I know that this is still much.)

CU
thl