Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Dec 1 12:27:51 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote :

[...]
> After some time, this failed, because iiimf-libs is gone, with no
> replacement or nothing to obsolete it but with a chain of dependencies.
>
> Quick fix was to just remove that package and try again.

This is not an isolated case : Any package removed from Core without
another obsoleting it will cause similar breakage.

Now... I know this is going to sound hackish and ugly, but why not have an
important Core package (say "fedora-release" for instance) obsolete these
removed packages up to their last known version? This still leaves the
opportunity to re-introduce them at a later date.

My only concern is to know if :
- x = 1.0 is installed
- the fedora-release to be updated obsoletes x <= 1.0
- x = 1.1 is available for the same transaction

Will x get uninstalled by the obsoletes or will it get updated? Having it
updated would probably be what most users would expect, but that'll happen
only if obsoletes are considered after computing all the updates.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4
Load : 0.54 0.91 0.77