yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Dec 6 14:00:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 15:28 -0700, Joshua Eichorn wrote:

> They have high-priority updates and optional updates.
>
> High priority updates get installed by automatic updates, optional have
> to updated by hand from windows update.
>
> most security fixes are High-Priority
>
> No major upgrades are, ie the new version of windows media player or the
> .net framework won't be updated automatically.
>
> Of course there are also service packs in the mix, which are forced
> upgrades at some point since new security fixes are only available if
> you install them.

Something that they've done recently which will not help the zombie
market is prevented systems from updating any further beyond SP2 that
haven't done a 'System Validation'.  Part of that validation is product
activation.  non activated products can no longer get updates at all
(after SP2).

And whoever is thinking that the windows update model is a good target,
try doing a stock XP install.  Not integrated w/ SP2, just an XP
install.  There is I believe 2 rounds of update/reboot even before the
SP2 install, which is another round of update/reboot.  There may be one
more round after that before the validation cut off.  I think it was a
total of 4 rounds of update/reboots that I had to do before I could go
no further.

--
jes