yum clean bug

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Dec 10 11:54:28 UTC 2005

Hi

>I think it is a good idea too.
>However I feel a distinct lack of motivation for submitting a new
>feature when the developers just dismiss ideas casually and say that
>feature will never have a chance of inclusion. So even if everyone
>that uses a new plugin from yum-utils says it is the best thing since
>sliced bread and they all want it in yum, it probably won't ever see
>the light of day -- after all, the developers said it would never be
>considered, right? Will yum-utils then just become a place to stash
>any unwanted features?

Its not unwanted. Merely something that doesnt fit with yum.  yum-utils
is a set of utilities and possibly plugins that extend the core
functionality of yum. Some of them dont belong in core yum in anyway.
Others might eventually get merged but its always the developers freedom
to say no in cases where they disagree with it. There was some ambiguity
in the man page which has now been fixed. Fortunately due the extension
mechanism adding new features is a easy thing to do akin to say Firefox.
Go ahead and code whatever functionality you need and post to yum-devel
list and get it included within yum-utils. If users want it they will
use it.

>As a side note, how many people actually have yum-utils and are aware
>of all it's features? There is once again very little motivation to
>submit to something that won't be used or even known about. Maybe the
>yum-utils structure could be improved to better incorporate plugins,
>or maybe a whole new yum-plugins package could be made. It would be
>nice to have a man page as well to (tersely if necessary) describe all
>the included features. Please note that I would be happy to attempt
>such a project if people think it is worthwhile.

As I have said in the list before yum-utils needs better visibility. You
can work on documentation such as man page,  Fedora Yum guide, writing
articles in fedora news or Red Hat magazine. Split up plugins into
seperate packages etc.  I think thats much more worthwhile than this
discussion

regards
Rahul