mirror synchronization flags?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Dec 14 13:43:04 UTC 2005

Hi

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the fedora tree
has no built-in semantics for letting other mirrors (perhaps even
clients) know if they are fully synced or in the middle of a mirroring
operation.

How about documenting a way to use some sort of semaphore (file) that
can be checked to make sure that mirroring has finished? Mirrors,
clients retrieving their data from a certain mirror could then
check/wait for the mirror to finish or find another mirror in the meantime?
The document could also share a few ideas on what to include/exclude for
certain types of mirrors, whether (or when) local createrepo should be
setup and such?

Debian has something like this IIRC, and it makes the mirroring a lot
less prone to errors. Less chance of unresolved dependencies due to
half-synced mirror. Less chance of yum (as example) to fail because a
package specified in the repodata does not exist, stuff like that?

Was something like this an idea or would it just complicate things more
than need be?

/Thomas