Shared vs Static (please read)

Nicholas Miell nmiell at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 01:15:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:25 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:48:26PM +0000, Peter Jr. Quiring wrote:
> > I tried to move a binary built on FC5 to a FC4 system and of course it
> > didn't work (openssl version mismatch).  So by removing static libs Fedora
> > will be hurting the little guys (like me).   I also know that some
>
> openssl is a problem area certainly.
>
> > functions (like dlopen()) currently do not work in static mode, but some of
> > my apps don't need this functionality.  I've written my own DNS client, so
> > the gethostaddr() etc functions I don't need.  Does anyone know if it would
> > be possible to use most libraries as static and maybe just use the shared
> > version of dl, or glibc?
>
> To be honest Fedora is aimed at being cutting edge rather than being the
> proprietary high stability oriented platform. What you say is I think quite
> fair in terms of C++. For C the LSB has it mostly licked, for C++ the changing
> C++ ABI has been problematic.

Both the compiler ABI and the libstdc++ ABI. The former is
understandable, but there's no excuse for the latter.

Shared libraries using GNU C++ on ELF systems are a path to madness, and
they'll stay that way until the libstdc++ people start practicing basic
software maintenance skills, or glibc's ld.so gets support for
DT_1_GROUP.

--
Nicholas Miell <nmiell at comcast.net>