bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 23:24:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 12:45 -0600, Michael Favia wrote:

> While i agree with j5 statemnt on simplicity i disagree that closing the
> torrent "defeats" the purpose. Even if individuals close the torrent
> after download they still supported the torrent throughout their
> download. (even if U/D ratios are biased). While it's only decent to
> wait till you have a 1:1 ratio imo it is perfectly acceptable to get
> what you need and mosey on if you'd like.

Yup - a lot of users have really restricted upload.
I use bt on a headless box - through a torrent file into
~/torrent/active/ and it goes - I try to leave them in there for at
least a week or so (though never more than 3 at once) because I can, it
doesn't bother me to seed - and I know some people have really limited
upload and it isn't reasonable to expect everyone to seed until 1:1

Those who have bandwidth can seed beyond 1:1 to compensate.