kdebindings-3.5.0-0.1.fc4 pull in ruby

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Dec 19 06:41:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 22:31 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 07:03 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > ... then split them off into separate packages, say ruby-kdebindings or
> > similar, as it is done with most other packages.
> >

> Wait..  kdebindings is a package for non C++ bindings.  Why exactly do
> you want this split into mini sub-packages?  The entire package is 5M,
> really that big of a problem?
No, of cause not - I am worried about the package's working principles
and their reflection on packaging.

This time it's a more or less unimportant language called ruby adding
5MB, next time it's fortran adding another 5MB, sometime in future it
could be java adding 20MB and at some point in future could be C# adding
50 MB.

All of them. as a side-effects, pulling in packages an individual user
has no use for, and which a add additional security risks.

So all this more or less a "beware the beginnings/think twice" concern.

Ralf