Too much time wasted installing fedora on raid1

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 20 13:06:05 UTC 2005

On Mar 20 décembre 2005 13:35, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:19 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> but.. it might as well be marked clean. there's no information in
>> never-used parts of the disk after all... so why sync it instead of
>> pretending it's synced perfectly fine....
>
> Because it's RAID, and it doesn't know anything about the file system --
> it's just trying naïvely to keep the _block_ device synchronised,
> without any of that helpful knowledge about which blocks the file system
> actually cares about, or might have touched since the array was last
> known to be consistent.

I don't know how anaconda handles it but the default raid IO limits are
very conservative (optimized for background work on a live system)

On a system being created it's probably a better idea to tell the raid
system to pump as much blocks as possible, since this is a blocking op in
this context and we don't care about anything else.

--
Nicolas Mailhot