Too much time wasted installing fedora on raid1

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 20 15:01:43 UTC 2005

On Mar 20 décembre 2005 14:20, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 14:06 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> I don't know how anaconda handles it but the default raid IO limits are
>> very conservative (optimized for background work on a live system)
>>
>> On a system being created it's probably a better idea to tell the raid
>> system to pump as much blocks as possible, since this is a blocking op
>> in
>> this context and we don't care about anything else.
>
> I think you miss the point. On a file system which is being created, the
> bandwidth limits _ought_ to be fairly much irrelevant.

No they're not.
If I remember well during an update anaconda can transform some existing
logical volumes to redundant volumes, so you can have a fairly big mass of
data to transfer.

And the bandwidth limits are *very* conservative. You won't win 5% or even
half the time, sometimes it's a 10x (+) différence.

--
Nicolas Mailhot