yum downloads need revamping

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 15:30:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 10:06 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/20/05, Otto Haliburton <ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:
> > When doing a yum update, it selects all the package available without
> > giving a choice as to what packages to download i.e. downloading
> > openoffice downloads all language flavors which means that i get
> > everything and I only want english, and this happens to everyone.
>
> It happens to everyone?  Doesn't happen to me.... because when i did
> my install.. i only selected english.  If you don't want the addional
> language packages to be updated.. don't install the additional
> language packages to begin with.. or remove the ones you don't want on
> your system.
>
> And if you want specific packages excluded from update commands learn
> to use the --exclude cmdline option or the exclude configuration
> switch in the config files yum is using.
>

> -jef

well, i can agree with you if fedora was a production system, as far as
I know it is a development system and the object is to select a complete
download, and I guess you must pay the penalty for that, the problem
also occurs with the kde update too.  I think that there should be a
solution that allows you to select.  The further problem with the
response is in using the exclude config switch you might have a slight
problem in excluding everything except the english updates etc.  A more
positive aspect for the solution is that yum detects the fact that
multilanguages are available and prompts for inclusion of all or the
inclusion of a selected language giving you the best of both worlds.
--
Otto Haliburton <ottohaliburton at comcast.net>