"yum --partial" feature as a bash line

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Dec 20 19:34:46 UTC 2005

Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:51 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>

>>>The problem with any of these are that long package names gets mangled
>>>in the yum output and i haven't found a place to tweak that.
>>>

>>an EXCELLENT reason to never rely on screenscraping.
>

> A tool not designed to be connected with other tools?  Sounds like a
> disregard for one of the best UNIX design principles, to me.

Yum is more of an interactive program than a tool designed to be piped
into something else - users want a nicely formatted output where the
update is coming from, progress bars and such, all of which pretty much
conflicts with piping to other programs (hence the "screen scraping" term).

You might want to try it with something that lets you format the output
to your liking, for example ""repoquery --pkgnarrow=updates -a" and
apply --queryformat to your liking.

	- Panu -