Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 23 14:27:40 UTC 2005

> Gianluca Sforna wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >is this announce from Fluendo referenced here:
> >http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13078
> >already being discussed at Fedora Legal?
> >
> >It would be really nice to finally have mp3 support OUTB in Fedora.
> >

> Thats what I thought too initially but unfortunately it doesnt change
> the Free software situation even a tiny bit

Could you expand a bit on what you mean by "the Free software
situation" ?

> If you want mp3 support in a region where software patents are enforced
> you could use any recent version of RealPlayer or you can buy a
> proprietary plugin from Fluendo

Fluendo does not sell a proprietary plugin for mp3 playback.  Fluendo
gives away both MIT-licensed source code, as well as binaries that come
with a patent license, built from this source code.

Thomas

My baby she knows
the weight that I'm under