Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 23 17:02:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Well the market chose. It seems people that matter (which influence
> purchases) care more about FOSS ethics than marketing people think. At
> this point squandering all the goodwill accrued by taking a firm FOSS
> stand would be something very stupid for Red Hat to do.

I think that is a good position to take.  It's a different position to
take than saying "we can't ship this for legal reasons".

> People write about Red Hat being the next Microsoft (or other such
> stupid things). The truth is the software Fedora delivers is as
> ethically pure as Debian's,

In some cases even more - Debian is still shipping GPL'd mp3 decoding
code as part of the main distribution; see a recent discussion on
debian-legal.

I got your phone number baby
Call you sometime
Think I might go out tonight