Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 23 17:05:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 11:59 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>
> > Just to make sure I follow you - this only applies to the binaries,
> > correct ? We both agree that patent law does not stop you from shipping
> > source code that implements patented techniques ?
>
> Even this is questionable.

I am not 100% sure of this either.  But there are enough examples out
there of companies doing this.  Lots of sample code available from
Intel's website for IPP can decode a whole range of patent-encumbered
formats, to give but one example.  Are they infringing by doing so ?

> I think a lot of this discussion here consists of us trying to be patent
> lawyers when we're not.

Agreed :) It just seems like it should at least get some legal review
from Red Hat lawyers instead of being dismissed out of hand.

Thomas

If I say goodbye to love
will it go away ?