fsck after crash not active in fc5 dev?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:57:36 UTC 2005

Hello,
I noticed after a crash (due to loss of electricity) that file systems was
not asked to be fscked
after reboot. The file /.autofsck  is created at boot, as before, but
comparing rh el 4 with fc5 it seemes that inside rc.sysinit the piece below
is missing, so that
the system does not prompt if one wants to force fsck and one has to
manually create /forcefsck and reboot in this case
(or probably is there a boot flag to tell to force fsck? I don't know this).

        if [ "$PROMPT" != "no" ]; then
                if [ "$AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK" = "yes" ]; then
                        if /sbin/getkey -c $AUTOFSCK_TIMEOUT -m $"Press N
within %d seconds to not force file system integrity check..." n ; then
                                AUTOFSCK_OPT=
                        fi
                else
                        if /sbin/getkey -c $AUTOFSCK_TIMEOUT -m $"Press Y
within %d seconds to force file system integrity check..." y ; then
                                AUTOFSCK_OPT=-f
                        fi
                fi
                echo
        else
                # PROMPT not allowed
                if [ "$AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK" = "yes" ]; then
                        echo $"Forcing file system integrity check due to
default setting"
                else
                        echo $"Not forcing file system integrity check due
to default setting"
                fi
        fi
I'm testing fedora right now and don't know previous versions, so this could
also be standard policy for fedora. Sorry in this case.
Is this ok, due to devel os or did it disappear uncorrectly?
I would like to have this chance also for devel/test systems.
Just my opinion.
Thanks for reading.
Gianluca