FC5 and Yum Plugins

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:28:34 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> That sounds too sneaky. While such a setup would generate grand
> headaches to most 3rd party repos (if not all, if there any big one
> w/o replacements?) as you and Thorsten already outlined (so it's
> better not to get as far as to have this as a default), I'd rather
> find a different solution to this problem, and I believe the other 3rd
> party repo maintainers would feel the same. It's not a repository war
> to invent new ways of dumping the other side (I hope).
>
> Certainly this kind of yum setup would not be a supported setup by the
> repos needing these replacements, so either way you look at it, this
> idiom cannot be welcomed by any such repo. In fact it would make yum
> itself as a depsolver unusable for these repos.
>
> So to answer your question directly: ATrpms would try to avoid such a
> setup by all (fair) means, and not having ATrpms at all on your client
> system would be a preferable setup to one with broken dependencies.

I think protectbase by default is a particularly bad idea for a number
of reasons. But if i understand the original poster correctly, the
problem he wants solved is a way to easily update packages in a way
that recognizes from where installed packages were originally
installed from after selectively install packages from a number of
different vendors.  I don't see a good solution to this problem since
the rpmdb doesn't keep track of this sort of information. The closest
thing that can be used to aid this sort of update is gpg signatures.

-jef