radical suggestion for fc4 release

Tue Feb 1 19:41:56 UTC 2005

Le mardi 01 février 2005 à 14:33 -0500, seth vidal a écrit :
> > Meet you in the server room where outbound access is disabled for
> > security reasons and cvs is not installed on fileservers anyway.
> >
> > Stop thinking like a developer with full software support infrastructure
> > and net access. Field people rely on simple console text editors for a
> > reason - shit happens, and complex systems fail more often than simple
> > ones. Just assume no convenience will be available and you're be not far
> > from the reality you have today in countless enterprise or home
> > premises.
> >
> > %changelog is perfectly adapted to rpm usage. This is not one of the
> > "features" like rpm groups no one ever found a serious use for.
> >

> I'm not talking about removing ALL of them. Just the REALLY old ones.
>
> tell me - when was the last time you needed, in your server room, to
> know what changes were made in 1998 to a package?

2000/2001 ?

Really, this is very package dependent - some subsystems are very tied
to a particular distribution release (because they depend on very
specific features), others packages can happily be dropped in 5-years-
old systems after just a rebuild.

As a matter of fact, since a RHEL lifetime is 5 years truncating
anything older than that would probably be ok. But there *will* be
people who install a first-gen RHEL2.1 (because that's the version their
OS dpt validated) near RHEL2.1 end-of-life who'll then update it
partially or completely to the latest updates. So in some cases, 5y is a
reasonable minimum.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot