radical suggestion for fc4 release

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 13:12:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 20:10 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> > > it's not bloating the headers - well not JUST that.
> > >
> > > I'm also thinking of decreasing the useles space eaten up by them on the
> > > cd isos.
> >
> > how much space do they eat currently?
> > -- Fernando
>
> well they're stored in at LEAST 3 different places on the cds:
>
> 1. the packages
> 2. the srpms
> 3. the rpmdb-fedora

I've checked one of my "longer running" packages (gimp, changelog since
1999) and it accounts for about 10K uncompressed (ungzipped) and 3K
gzipped in packages that are roughly 10MB in size, even for the kernel
it would be only 28/10K vs. 30M. This tiny amount of space saved just
doesn't warrant the effort IMO, sorry. Even if it's just a few K * (1
srpm + n * (binary rpms + rpmdb)).

> 4. maybe in hdlist2?
> 5. the metadata

I don't think that changelogs should be stored at all in the (repo)
metadata or hdlist2.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com