x86_64 in FC4?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Feb 4 23:34:45 UTC 2005

Gene C. <czar at czarc.net>:
> Yes, I have an Opteron system also and have been impressed with its relative
> performance (even with my Opteron 140).

Indeed.  I have a single Opteron 3400 that is cranking a measured 1.65
times better performance than my previous machine on doclifter, my
monster Python app -- which doesn't sound impressive until you
consider that the previous machine was a 2-processor SMP with 1.8GHz
Athlons.  So my real-world throughput is as good or (allowing for
Amdahl's Law inefficiencies) better than what I'd get from a 6 GHz
Athlon, if such a thing existed.

>        The folks behind Fedora Core are trying to pick architectures
> for which there are a large number of potential users. Thus, you have i386
> (i586 and i686), x86_64, and (maybe) the ppc.

That should do it.  I expect the PPC to rise in importance rapidly over the
next two years, but I don't see anything other than x86_32, x86_64 and PPC
achieving significant market share.