Sharing sound hardware

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Mon Feb 7 19:56:03 UTC 2005

Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

>Hi Ryan,

Hi Ronald

>On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 03:10, Ryan Gammon wrote:
>

>>2. Pausing was generally broken
>>

>Hm, do you mean the ALSA paused state? As far as I know, Dmix doesn't
>implement that. You're supposed to just stop playback alltogether when
>paused. Not ideal, admittedly, but appears to work.

Yup. I don't think there's any reason that pause couldn't be implemented
for dmix, but I guess if it's not working, don't use it.

>Would fixed-samplerate do (e.g. fixed to 48kHz)? 99% of the users won't
>notice the difference if you're using a reasonably good resampler. On my
>computer (don't know if this is generally true), dmix operates on a
>fixed samplerate, regardless of playback.

Yeah, that's generally what I'm thinking. You could make an argument for
44100 too -- tends to be more popular, saves on cpu & resampling
interpolation.

>For the future, ALSA is definately the way to do. It's a pain to get
>fully stable, still, but it's getting better. I've ended up debugging
>some ALSA issues, but the result isn't too bad really.

Agreed, looking forward to seeing what comes out of Colin's experiments.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player