Running with vm.overcommit_memory=2

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Fri Feb 18 18:13:55 UTC 2005

Hi.

Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com> wrote:

> You configured the kernel to not overcommit memory, so it won't.
> It makes sure that all the memory that was requested is available
> for programs to use, regardless of whether programs actually use it.

Is the amount of memory that 'free' reports as 'free' (or /proc/meminfo
states as 'MemFree:') the amount of unrequested memory, or does it include
requested but not actually used memory?

If the latter, where can one see the amount of unrequested memory?

--
"Something that I was not aware had happened suddenly turned out not to
have happened."  -- John Major in the Scott Report