FC4 slimfast slimfest

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 21:16:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Gérard Milmeister wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 13:54 -0700, Joshua Eichorn wrote:
> > Elliot Lee wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages to
> > >make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse, xfce,
> > >xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also may
> > >try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
> > >Extras if someone cares about it.
>
> Why limit FC4 to 4 CD's? Is it out fear that someone will cry "bloat"?

If we add another CD:
	The companies that create CD sets for magazines or resale will see
	their media costs go up by 25%.

	The mirror sites with limited bandwidth and disk space will be
	likely to stop mirroring Fedora Core.

	The users who don't want to download and burn another CD will go
	elsewhere.

> If packages were properly distributed among the CD's, one didn't need to
> download all images. I admit I am a bit biased since I use XEmacs
> regularly. I you list I see many java-related packages. Why not bundle
> them into a separate CD?

Because we don't have the infrastructure/tools to do it properly.

> Another option would be to retain 4 images and create additional images
> with extras.

Which means removing things from Core so we can put them in Extras...
-- Elliot