FC4 slimfast slimfest

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 21 21:23:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 16:16 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:

> > Why limit FC4 to 4 CD's? Is it out fear that someone will cry "bloat"?
>
> If we add another CD:
> 	The companies that create CD sets for magazines or resale will see
> 	their media costs go up by 25%.
>
> 	The mirror sites with limited bandwidth and disk space will be
> 	likely to stop mirroring Fedora Core.
>
> 	The users who don't want to download and burn another CD will go
> 	elsewhere.
>
> > If packages were properly distributed among the CD's, one didn't need to
> > download all images. I admit I am a bit biased since I use XEmacs
> > regularly. I you list I see many java-related packages. Why not bundle
> > them into a separate CD?
>
> Because we don't have the infrastructure/tools to do it properly.
>
> > Another option would be to retain 4 images and create additional images
> > with extras.
>
> Which means removing things from Core so we can put them in Extras...
> -- Elliot

Ok, I understand your reasoning. However I think moving packages from
Core to Extras can only be done, if access to Extras is immediate after
Core has been installed. Which means: no manual setting up of repository
files in /etc/yum.repos.d or /etc/apt. And a usable graphical package
manager like synaptic instead of the braindead system-config-packages.
As I said, a set of optional Extras CDs, downloadable from the same
location as the Core CDs would be a benefit.

--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49