FC4 slimfast slimfest

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 21:43:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 16:33 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I think this is silly and leads to finger-pointing.  Just
> because I work on and use Eclipse and lots of the Java-related stuff
> doesn't mean that others don't see other things as being just as useful.

I agree with Andrew. I can make the argument of why Eclipse should stay;
but I don't know how to make the argument on what should go in equal
size. I can't do the math in such a way, because size != usefulness, at
least I believe, in this context.

Eclipse is important as it is the IDE with the largest open source
developer base; that various open source groups (like classpath) for
example, consistently ask us for improvement to it and rely on it; we do
a lot of work with Eclipse within Red Hat (RHN use it in their Java
stack), and that Eclipse already exists as a product in RHEL and should
have a Fedora Core mirror package. Fedora Core is the only place where
Eclipse exists as a completely free, natively built Java app, and where
we can proudly say, this product is completely free.

Regards

Phil